Sunday, September 13, 2009

Blog Post #1 - Ways I can use a Blog

1. Being a foreign language teacher it seems the best way to use a blog would be to link to a Spanish speaking classroom in a Spanish speaking country. It would be excellent for students to post a response to a question or topic, like describe your typical school day, favorite food, etc. My students would not only could post their response in Spanish (could be graded writing assignment) but also read the responses from the Spanish speaking students, (reading assignment). I could require them to comment on a certain number of Spanish students' entries. My students would be using the language in a real, communicative way and comparing their typical school day, or whatever the topic would be with that of a Spanish speaker. This would actually address several NYS learning standards. As a blogger beginner this seems difficult to coordinate so to start I could connect with another Spanish teacher's class from the Western New York area that I know. Our students could communicate with each other in much the same way. It would be a good learning experience.
2. While most of my students have facebook or myspace using this type of blog may be difficult for some. With that in mind I would like to start off with the students just reading my blog or just commenting. I could post personal journal entries in Spanish and have students read them and translate them for homework or respond to them in Spanish. I also liked the idea the book had about providing online readings and having students read and react to them. In larger classes it is sometimes difficult to provide enough time for every student to express thier own ideas and this would allow all students the opportunity to share. I would also love to have students discuss what they thought about activities we did during class.
3. Personally, blogs seem like great resources to find effective teaching activities, strategies, and games to use in the classroom. Not only will the ideas be posted but also comments from other teachers about how useful they were or helpful hints on how to better implement the strategy. In this case I don't think I would have my own blog about this but rather search out others' blogs to educate myself.

3 comments:

  1. With so many ELL teachers in this class, I am really getting some new ideas for how to use technology to help non-English speakers. I like your idea of using it Spanish speakers in that it makes for a really authentic task. I recall my own French learning and would have loved something so purposeful!- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of corresponding with a Spanish speaking classroom. I think teaching foreign language in schools should include more communicating in the language on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have chosen some great ideas. I like the fact that you are thinking about the coordination aspect and, perhaps, starting with someone in the NYS area. Sounds like a good way to begin.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete